Thursday, October 17, 2019

Library Candy

We live in a digital age which is quite convenient in many ways—especially when it comes to books. I (Kara) read exclusively on my Ipad for a multitude of reasons; one of which is the fact that my eyesight is not what it used to be and I can make the print as large as I want. Another reason is that my husband got tired of having me pack heavy books when we would go on vacation. But as easy as it is to get digital books these days, I will always buy the paper version when it comes to stitching. Seeing beautiful pictures of embroidery, quilting, and other needlework just isn't the same when I am looking at them on my electronic device. Two of my most recent purchases were first seen on Mary Corbet's site Needle n' Thread. Mary does a very thorough review of the books and I was smitten with these both.


The first is Di van Niekerk's The Art of Felting and Silk Ribbon Embroidery. Wool and ribbon are two of my favorite things so this purchase was a no brainer. The book is laid out well and the projects are just fantastic. I was really interested in learning how to wet felt and I wanted to make moss for one of the Woodland Reverie blocks we will be teaching at the Academy of Appliqué in Williamsburg, Virginia next March. The instructions were very clear and with a little trial and error, I was able to achieve the desired result.

My felted wool 
Another look



















My finished moss!

Wet felting instructions

Let me mention again how gorgeous the projects are! The ribbon work is amazing and the felted wool and ribbon complement one another so well.

The supply list is quite thorough.

Clear instructions for the ribbon fuchsia

If you go to Di van Niekerk's website you can even purchase kits for some of the projects. I loved how inspirational this book was and it will definitely be used for more than learning how to wet felt.

Another book that I recently purchased was Chloe Giordano's The Embroidered Art of Chloe Giordano. When Mary Corbet posted the review on her site, I immediately pre-ordered it. Chloe's embroidered animals are a delight to view and it was interesting to read how she stepped into the world of embroidery.

The cover itself is captivating.

The book tells Chloe's embroidery story and the techniques she developed to achieve her vision. She uses sewing thread to create beautiful woodland animals and gives them such life!

The beginning of a sweet fawn.

I love the vines and flowers.

This fox is precious!

This book is going on my coffee table just so I can pick it up from time to time to be inspired. You can learn more about Chloe on her website: Chloe Giordano.

It's always fun to add to one's stitching library whether it is for learning something new or just  for gazing at another creator's inspirational work. Have you read any new stitching books lately? If so, let us know so we can read them too!

To read Mary Corbet's book reviews, please click on the links below:

3 comments:

  1. Both look like wonderful additions to your library. I have seen Chloe's work and it blows me away every time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Teri and Kara. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am aso blessed and feel privileged and honuured to get connected with you as well as know you and about your interet and love for Jesus and also skill to tell stories through neeles. I have throughly enjoyed your beautiful piece of needle work. It is a talent God has given to your two who are best friends. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 40 yrs in this gteat city of MUMBAI A CITY WITH A great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest ofp oor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come to Mumbai to work with us during your vacation time. I am sure you will have a life changing expeience. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and friends. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and mnae is Diwakar Wankhede

    ReplyDelete